Dobie placed on lockdown
following gun scare
Dobie High School was placed on lockdown the morning of Tuesday, Feb. 17, after a female student reported seeing someone on campus with what appeared to be a firearm, prompting an immediate response from school administrators and law enforcement.
District officials later confirmed that no gun was found and no students were hurt.
Pasadena ISD said the lockdown was initiated “out of caution.” In an update to parents, the district stated that “all leads have been investigated, and no threats have been identified.”
An earlier message reassured families that “all students and staff are safe” and that administrators and police “responded immediately and are actively investigating the report.”
As officers conducted a room‑by‑room sweep of the campus, many parents rushed to the school and formed a long line of vehicles outside, attempting to pick up their children.
However, pickup was not allowed during the lockdown, consistent with standard safety protocol. During any active lockdown, Pasadena ISD schools do not release students until law enforcement clears the building and deems it safe.
By mid‑morning, the district confirmed that all reported leads had been checked and no credible threat was found. The lockdown was lifted once the campus was cleared, and normal dismissal procedures resumed.
Despite rumors to the contrary, no arrests were made. Pasadena ISD police, however, said that one disposable vape was found during the search.
See Something, Say Something
Despite no weapon being found at the school, Pasadena ISD officials have a longstanding policy that encourages students to report any suspicious activity, telling them if they “See Something, Say Something.”
Moving forward
Classes resumed after the all‑clear, and Pasadena ISD said it will continue working with law enforcement to ensure safety protocols remain strong.
Additional security from the Pasadena ISD Police Department remained on campus following the incident as a precaution.
The incident comes just one week after a Thompson student suffered minor injuries after reportedly being attacked with a screwdriver during a fight in a bathroom at Thompson Intermediate. (The fight was reported by a parent the following day, and no weapon was found on campus.)
Clear Creek ISD
Clear Creek ISD has also experienced similar problems in recent weeks.
A pair of threatening phone calls made to Clear Creek ISD high schools Thursday, Jan. 29, prompted school officials to place multiple district campuses on lockdown while police investigated the matter.
According to the Clear Creek ISD officials, one phone call was made to Clear Springs High School from a person claiming to be on the way to the campus with a gun. Just minutes later, a second call was placed to Clear Creek High School, with the caller claiming to be en route to the campus with a bomb.
As a precautionary measure, the two targeted high schools, as well as nearby Creekside Intermediate and Clear Creek Intermediate, were placed under lockdown until the League City Police Department deemed the campuses safe.
Early voting for the March 3 primary elections is currently underway and will run through Friday, Feb. 27.
Voters in the South Belt community will help decide a wide range of county, state and federal races, including contests for U.S. Senate, Congress, governor, lieutenant governor, attorney general and multiple local offices.
At the top of the ballot, U.S. Sen. John Cornyn faces several Republican challengers, while three Democrats are competing for their party’s nomination. The open U.S. House District 22 seat has drawn two Republicans – Trever Nehls (brother of current Rep. Troy Nehls who is not seeking re-election) and Rebecca Clark – and one Democrat, Robert “Puga” Thomas. In House District 36, incumbent Brian Babin is unopposed in the Republican primary, with two Democrats seeking their party’s nomination.
Gov. Greg Abbott is running for re-election against a large Republican field, with six Democrats competing on their side of the ballot. Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick also faces primary challengers in the Republican race, while three Democrats are running for their party’s nomination.
With Ken Paxton running for U.S. Senate, the attorney general seat is open. Four Republicans and three Democrats are seeking the position. State Sen. Mayes Middleton’s run for attorney general has opened the Senate District 11 seat, where Republican Dennis Paul and two Democrats are running. Paul’s current House District 129 seat has drawn two Republicans – including longtime South Belt resident Bob Mitchell – and one Democrat. In House District 144, Democratic incumbent Mary Ann Perez faces two primary challengers, with one Republican running unopposed.
Several county-level races are also on the ballot, including the open Harris County judge seat, Precinct 2 commissioner and Precinct 2, Place 2 justice of the peace.
Early voting hours are 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. (noon to 7 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 22). Voters may cast a ballot at any early voting site in Harris County and should bring an approved photo ID.
Voters in the South Belt community may cast their ballots at the following nearby early voting centers:
– Harris County Scarsdale Annex, 10851 Scarsdale Blvd.
– BakerRipley Pasadena Campus, 720 Fairmont Parkway in Pasadena.
– Freeman Branch Library, 16616 Diana Lane.
– East Harris County Activity Center, 7340 Spencer Highway in Pasadena.
For sample ballots and full election information, visit HarrisVotes.com.
E-mail mynews@southbeltleader.com with news items of interest.