This Week's Headlines

2 arrested following SWAT standoff

South Belt celebrates Fourth of July

Hernandez named Stuchbery principal

SJC students to conduct cancer research at University of Iowa

Causes of two deaths undetermined

Flood Control gives tips on storms

J. Frank Dobie High School honor roll for sixth six weeks

Fred Roberts names final 2017 honor roll

SJC summer camp registration still open

San Jac only community college students chosen for CURE

UHCL, CCISD celebrate partnership marks by significant milestone high school graduation

Beverly Hills announces honor roll

SJC students complete EECC program

Foundation set to host 22nd annual golf tournament

2017 South Belt area vacation photos shared

Texan Bank host Inaugural Kidz Harbor event June 24

Tax receipts lower after Super Bowl

Houston Astros ink Brook/UH’s Julks – he’s on to Tri-City

Brook’s Torres to tee off at Mc Murry

Texas District 15 all-star play set

Weaver takes over San Jacinto College women’s basketball program

Hedrick logs 100th career match

Two arrested following SWAT standoff

Two brothers are in custody after a four-hour SWAT standoff at the Clear Creek Landing apartment complex in the 11700 block of Beamer at Hall Road early Sunday, June 18.

Officers from the Houston Police Department were the first to respond to a possible assault at the complex’s swimming pool shortly before 2:30 a.m., quickly followed by deputies from the Harris County Precinct 2 Constable’s office.

Upon their arrival, authorities were notified that the two males had taken the alleged assault victim to an upstairs apartment, where screaming could be heard from outside.

After attempts to reach the victim were unsuccessful, deputies reached out to the Harris County Sheriff’s Office SWAT team, technically known as the Harris County Houston High Risk Operations Unit, for assistance. When the SWAT team’s initial efforts to reach the victim were also unsuccessful, it gained entry to the apartment by detonating a small explosive near the front door around 6:30 a.m.

“I just woke up to a big boom,” said neighbor Mandy Lewis. “I asked my husband if he heard the noise, and he said ‘yeah, I think they are working on the road.’ I said ‘no that wasn’t road work noise.’”

The two brothers subsequently surrendered to police. One of the two was reportedly dating the female victim.

Contrary to other media reports, police said there was only one victim, not two. Police also said the victim at least suffered a concussion during the incident, contradicting other reports that stated she was unharmed. At press time, the victim was undergoing additional medical tests to determine if other internal injuries were incurred. Police noted, however, that the victim was not cooperating with authorities.

Other media reports also stated that the victim had been thrown down the stairs prior to the standoff. Investigators told the Leader, however, the victim had allegedly been dragged up the stairs by her hair.

The names of the two suspects had not been released at press time, as the investigation was ongoing and official charges were pending the victim’s medical test results.

South Belt celebrates Fourth of July

Several local organizations, elected officials, businesses, and residents are gearing up for the annual South Belt Independence Day parade, set to take place Tuesday, July 4, beginning at 10 a.m.

Now in its 30th year, the parade will feature a variety of decorated vehicles and floats, classic cars and emergency vehicles. The route will wind its way from Beverly Hills Intermediate to San Jacinto College South via Fuqua, Sabo/Hughes Road and Beamer.

This year’s event will be a salute to all first responders. Members of the Houston Fire Department, the Southeast Volunteer Fire Department, the Houston Police Department and the Harris County Precinct 2 Constable’s office are expected to take part, as are local military personnel.

Once again, Harris County Precinct 2 Constable Chris Diaz will be taking part in the parade.

Other early confirmed entries include the Sagemont Church Choir, the Dobie Lariaettes, Bombers Sports Bar, San Jacinto College and Dobie football.

Participants are encouraged to decorate their vehicles and floats, as prizes will be awarded in various categories. Trophies will be given to the most patriotic and most original entries in both the commercial and noncommercial categories.

All residents, organizations and businesses are welcome to enter. Community and nonprofit groups may sign up for the parade at no charge, unless they wish to be eligible for a prize. A $50 fee is charged for commercial entries. Noncommercial entries may enter the contest for $25.

Entry forms are available at www.southbeltleader.com, the Leader office, 11555 Beamer. The forms are to be filled out and returned to the Leader office, faxed to 281-481-5730 or emailed to mynews@southbeltleader.com by July 2.

While the parade starts at 10 a.m., participants are urged to arrive early, as the lineup for the caravan will begin at 9 a.m.

Fireworks display
On the evening of July 4, residents will not want to miss the annual fireworks display, as organizers are saying it will be among the largest in the event’s 29-year history.

The pyrotechnics display is funded by the annual South Belt Spectacular Cook-off.

Organizers said they plan to spend roughly $45,000 on the fireworks show this year. By comparison, organizers spent only around $3,000 on the first South Belt fireworks display in 1988.

While the fireworks will be set off at El Franco Lee Park, located at 9400 Hall Road, they should be visible throughout much of the South Belt community.
The annual fireworks display is scheduled to begin around 9:30 p.m.

 

E-mail mynews@southbeltleader.com with news items of interest.

Return to top of page